Blending beers

Andy Hamilton

Brewer, forager, broadcaster, spaceman occasional liar

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Ian Allsop says:

When I was at college in Lancashire in the eighties, it was a common thing to go into a pub and ask for a pint of “Mixed”. Which was half a bitter and half a mild.

• Andy Hamilton says:

Thanks for that Ian. I’ve looked up a bit about a pint of “mixed” and think I might update the post. Thanks very much for posting, always good to learn something new. Incidently, I’m a big fan of a pint of Mild and am glad to see that they are making something of a comeback. Any favourites that I should be trying? Down here Arbor do a half decent mild called Mild, Mild west.

2. @acesabe says:

Another classic blend that I remember from working in construction in London in the late ’80’s is ‘light and bitter’ which appears to be historically popular. As it’s name suggests, it’s half a pint of draught bitter topped up with bottle of light ale. Nothing to rave about as far as I remember, but I guess it could temper an over bitter pint and further lower it’s already low alcohol level..

Another ‘blend’ ?still popular today? is snakebite, but let’s not go there!

• Andy Hamilton says:

You’ve just reminded me of a mispent evening drinking “k” cider and Special Brew as a teenager. When I woke up and said never again, I stuck to it on that one!

3. Rob Fellows says:

When I was around the Midlands in the 1970s a pint of mixed was half bitter half mild. I don’t remember brown ale being involved perhaps that was very localised or before the 70s.

4. Ian Allsop says:

It occurs to me also, that after leaving Lancs in the eighties, and heading back to London, there was also a demand for Light and Bitter, being half a bitter and a bottle of light ale.
    And drinkers of Youngs beers would also ask for a Ram and Special.
    So perhaps blended beers haven’t disappeared totally.

• Andy Hamilton says:

… and I’m sure they are about due a revival! I wonder what you’d get if you asked for a Ram and Special today; a funny look I imagine. Thanks for the comment Ian.