Turin day two – How to make pasta

Rain, Rain and more rain

Day two in the Turin blog four part series (day one is here). It rained on the second day, so this blog is mostly about how to make pasta.

In the morning we sat in our apartment in a rundown bit of Turin having seen only part of a market in the pouring rain. We sought provisions in our district, many of the buildings are empty, some are burned, or just the steel shell of once huge warehouses remains. A metal wall surrounds a huge empty expanse, presumably for a rail track or a large road. But it gives the feeling of being hemmed in like cattle. It has the look and feel of a communist state, on the western boarder. One that would be on the brink of revolution were it not for the fact that the residence have come some accustomed to their turgid state of existence so they felt powerless to do anything about it. Like sewer rats that have never seen the light of day. But the sadder part is that it wasn’t a dictatorial state that imprisoned this district but a free capitalist one, as many languages are spoken here ironically some will have fled from dictatorial regimes. Needless to say, this was a cheap apartment and we got what we paid of.

But it’s clean, quiet and spacious so we sat back and made pasta.

100g flour
1 egg

Make the flour into a mound, like Richard Drafus did with mash in Close Encounters. Then place the egg in the mound so it looks like a mini volcano. Crack the whole egg and quickly fold this all together.

Roll until as thin as a wafer, then cut into finger width strips. Unravel and then boil for 2 mins and then my friend you have tagliatelle.

After the pasta the heavens opened, well not so much opened as pushed just a little more than slightly ajar. That rain that doesn’t stop you from doing anything, the rain that makes you go, “this isn’t too bad, I can walk around in this”, as you are getting soaked to the skin, slowly. It was these conditions that we decided to film a small piece to camera about wormwood in the botanical gardens and we had just an hour before the gardens closed.

Filming can be similar to writing, it might look like there are only a few words on a page and the writer has taken no time to write them. But what you see doesn’t reflect just how many hours or even days has gone into the making of it. So for what might end up being less than a minute or twos worth of usable footage, we sat and got soaked for one hour.

After the botanical gardens we got pizza, had beer and coffee then walked home ate some more, drank some Chianti and slept. Not a bad day in all, just wish it would stop fucking raining then just maybe it will start to feel like the vibrant European city I thought we’d encounter yesterday.